With their colorful feathers and cheery, inquisitive natures, birds possess both beauty and charm. They’re also incredibly smart and social. If you want to add a feathered friend to your family, consider your lifestyle, preferences, and the bird’s needs to ensure that you make a good match. Whether you’ve always dreamt of owning a bird or you’re just exploring the possibility, take some time to explore all of the things a bird needs to thrive.
The Benefits of Birds
Whether they have fur, feathers, or scales, pets offer companionship and reduce stress. What makes a bird a good pick for a pet? Consider the following benefits:
- While the phrase bird-brained suggests a lack of intelligence, birds are actually incredibly smart creatures that will enjoy socializing with you, learning new tricks, and exploring their environment.
- Birds are easy to train and delightfully low-maintenance pets. While they certainly enjoy time outside of their cage, there’s no need to walk them regularly, struggle with housebreaking, or take them to the groomers.
- They’re fun. A bird is a social animal, so it will be happy to interact with its beloved owner. Most species are brightly colored with beautiful feathers, and their curiosity makes them fascinating to watch.
- Birds can be kept in a small space, which means they can work well for people who live in apartments or condos. As an added bonus, many landlords don’t charge pet deposits for birds because they’re unlikely to cause property damage.
- Feeding a bird won’t strain your budget. With their small size, birds don’t eat much. Fresh water, a high-quality and species-specific commercial pelleted food, and a mix of healthy fresh food (fruits, veggies, and sprouted grains) will keep your bird happy and healthy without breaking the bank.
- They live a long time. The loss of an animal companion is heartbreaking. With their long lifespans, birds can provide decades of love and affection.
What a Bird Needs
With finches, parakeets, canaries, lovebirds, doves, cockatiels, and a variety of parrots to choose from, it’s not hard to find a bird that appeals to you. While each species will have slightly different needs, there are a few essentials that every bird owner will need, including the following:
- Cage: Although birds don’t need much space, the interior of their cage should provide enough room for them to stretch their wings and fly short distances. We encourage you to buy the biggest and sturdiest cage that you can afford, financially and spatially.
- Cage Accessories: What makes a cage a suitable home? Accessories like food and water bowls, perches, nests, and bedding will help you build a comfortable space for your pet.
- Toys: Toys provide an opportunity for enrichment, interaction, and fun. Plus, they will keep your feathered friend entertained while you’re away.
- Food and Treats: Choose a high-quality food tailored to your bird’s species to protect his or her health. In addition, purchase some treats to use as rewards during training.
- Books: If you want to learn more about birds or expand your understanding of their care, books can provide a wealth of information and insight.
Whether you’re a novice with a new bird or an experienced owner searching for supplies to keep your much-loved pet happy and healthy, PetsWay would be delighted to help. Stop by one of our locations to find a new feathery friend, get tips on bird care, and browse our extensive selection of products.