Cats are uncannily graceful and adorably awkward, perplexingly aloof and heartwarmingly empathetic, coolly self-contained and delightfully rambunctious. Frankly, a feline is a multifaceted bundle of contradictions that never fails to connect with the human heart. With their distinctive personalities and adorable idiosyncrasies, cats are fascinating and fun. It’s no wonder that they are one of the most popular household pets in the U.S. In fact, there are over 94 million pet cats currently living in the United States, according to the American Pet Products Association (source).
What makes a cat such a wonderful addition to a household? Cats are adored for numerous reasons, including all of the following:
- Cats provide just the right amount of companionship. A cat will be there when you want company and give you space when you need it.
- They’re clean. While many cats enjoy a good brushing, they generally groom themselves. There’s no need to struggle to bathe them or to worry about a smelly, dirty beast rolling around and wreaking havoc on your clean house.
- They’re independent. You will need to provide food and fresh water and keep the litter box tidy, but cats can handle the rest of their everyday care. In fact, you can even leave them alone for a few days while you enjoy a long weekend away.
- They teach self-respect, empathy, and gentleness. While dogs are often happy to roughhouse and play wildly, cats have their limits. Children who spend time with cats quickly learn that they must be gentle, kind, and responsive to the animal if they want to play with it. If you don’t respect a cat’s boundaries, it won’t stick around.
- They’re relaxing. Spending time with a cat is a great way to reduce your stress levels. There are few things more soothing than stroking a purring cat.
- They’re fun. Inquisitive, daring, and social, cats are great company. Simply watching them can be enjoyable, and they are generally quite happy to let you join them in their play. Cats will cheerfully chase a toy or a light, and some will even play fetch!
What a Cat Needs
Are you ready to share your home with a cat? Although cats are typically quite laid-back and undemanding, you will need to have a few essential items prepared when you bring your new feline friend home, including all of the following:
- Bowls: Select sturdy bowls that are easy to clean, attractive, and comfortable for your cat to reach.
- Scratchers: Cats have a natural need to sharpen their claws, so it’s best to provide them with a suitable place to do so.
- Toys: Whether your furry friend is a young kitten or an adult cat, they’ll enjoy having toys that encourage pouncing, chasing, batting, and playing.
- Food and Treats: A quality cat food will keep your feline healthy, and treats are a good way to offer positive reinforcement during training.
- Beds: Who doesn’t want a soft, comfortable place to sleep? While your cat will probably choose to nap in multiple locations, they’ll appreciate a bed of their own.
- Grooming Tools: Be sure to pick up a brush and nail clippers designed for cats. A good brushing removes tangles and loose fur, and clippers can nip overgrown nails before they cause problems.
- Healthcare Supplies: Whether you’re worried about fleas and ticks or looking for nutritional supplements, the right health care supplies will help your cat stay happy and healthy.
At Petsway, we love seeing people and their pets thrive. It’s our pleasure to provide the tips, product, and services that you need to care for your cats.