Dogs seem to know the secret to winning hearts. According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA), pooches share the homes of some 60.2 million households in the United States (source). That impressive figure makes them the most popular type of pet in the country. Why are so many families going to the dogs? Although sharing your life with a dog is a great responsibility, it also offers numerous benefits.
Dogs provide companionship, connection, and a sense of purpose. Playing with them, petting them, or even just watching them can reduce your stress levels and help you unwind. Plus, dogs promote an active lifestyle, and they can improve your social life. Simply taking a stroll with your dog can open social doors and help you break the ice with new people. Finally, did you know that owning a dog can make you a happier person? Numerous studies show that dog owners are more satisfied with their lives when compared to people who don’t own dogs.
What a Dog Wants
For all of the benefits they provide, dogs simply require your love, time, and a few basic necessities. If you’re a new dog owner, be sure that you pick up the following supplies:
- Food and Treats: A quality dog food will help your dog stay strong and healthy, so be sure to select a product full of protein and nutrients. In addition, pick up some tasty treats to reward your dog for good behavior.
- Toys: Dogs are like kids – they love to play! By giving them toys, you won’t just make them happy; you will also keep them busy and prevent them from engaging in destructive or attention-seeking behaviors. Toys encourage interaction, mental stimulation, and fun.
- Health Products and Dental Care: Taking good care of your dog means ensuring that their wellness needs are met. In addition to regular visits to the vet, remember to purchase important health products like heartworm prevention medication, flea and tick control, and oral hygiene products.
- Grooming Products and Services: Keeping your dogs neat and clean can be a challenge, especially if they spend a lot of time outdoors. The right shampoo, brush, and nail clippers will make the job easier, but you could also turn to the professionals at Petsway for hassle-free bathing and grooming.
- Apparel: Some apparel is practical; some is pure fun. All of it is a chance to express your pooch’s personality. At the very least, be sure to pick up a reliable leash and collar.
- Training Products and Services: A well-trained dog makes a fantastic companion. Clickers, harnesses, and other training aids can help improve your communication with one another. For best results, enroll your dog in a training class.
- Books: Do you want to know more about your dog? Are you curious about their heritage or looking for advice regarding their care? Would some insight into different training approaches be helpful? Books about canines are a great resource.
- Bowls: Sturdy, easily cleaned bowls for food and water are a must. You can even purchase portable water bowls, which collapse down so that you can easily take them on hikes and trips to the park.
In the eyes of the law, a dog is a pet and a type of property, but the vast majority of people who are lucky enough to love (and be loved by) a dog know better. They think of their canine companions as furry, four-legged family members. In fact, the Milo’s Kitchen Pet Parent Survey, conducted by Kelton Research, found that 77 percent of Americans openly talk about their dogs as if they are family members and more than 80 percent treat their pups like family.
If you’re eager to ensure that your dog is happy and healthy, Petsway is ready to help. Stop in today to explore our wide variety of dog products and services.