Although not especially cuddly, fish are beautiful, low maintenance, and provide a bubble of calm in today’s hectic world. Just gazing into an aquarium populated with serenely swimming fish can help soothe your frazzled nerves, encourage relaxation, lower your blood pressure, and reduce your stress levels. A popular addition to homes and businesses alike, fish are the third most popular type of pet in the United States, according to the American Pet Products Association. Some 12.5 million households keep fish as pets. With an average of 12 fish per household, there are nearly 150 million pet fish in the United States alone! Why are fish so popular?
- Fish are beautiful. They come in an astounding array of sizes, shapes, and colors – some colorful and cute, others exotic and unusual. Plus, an aquarium can add beauty and interest to an otherwise lifeless space, much like a work of art.
- Fish are easy to keep. Although you will need to maintain the condition of the tank and provide food, fish don’t need to be walked, groomed, or entertained like other pets. Since they require minimal care, they’re great for young kids.
- Fish are quiet. You will never have to worry about your piscine pals making a racket, disturbing the neighbors, or keeping you up at night. For this reason, fish are excellent for people living in close quarters, like thin-walled apartments or dorm rooms.
- They are inexpensive to keep. Fish food is very affordable, and you won’t need to shell out for costly vet care or grooming. Keep in mind that the size of your aquarium and the type of fish you purchase will greatly affect the overall cost.
- Fish don’t make messes. Fish don’t mind being left alone, and they can’t destroy your home or belongings. You will never have to worry about your fish tracking in dirt, shedding, drooling, or having an accident in the house.
- They don’t need a lot of space. If you don’t have space for a massive aquarium, why not purchase a simple fish bowl? You can create a healthy environment for a fish that suits the scale of your space.
What a Fish Needs
Do you favor the friendly familiarity of goldfish, the fierce elegance of betta fish, the beauty of tropical fish, or the exotic spirit of saltwater fish? Are you looking for a loner or eager to build an undersea community? Different fish have different needs, so it’s important to do your research. If you want to give a fish a healthy home, check out the following supplies:
- Aquarium: Aquariums are available in a wide range of sizes and shapes. When selecting an aquarium, don’t just think about aesthetics. Consider the needs of the fish that you intend to keep there.
- Water Care Supplies and Equipment: Most aquariums require some sort of filtration system and pump to maintain a healthy living environment. You might also need a net to clean the tank, a water testing kit (to check the pH, levels of ammonia, etc.), water conditioner, and more. Some species also require a heater to regulate the water’s temperature.
- Decor: Various substrates, real and artificial plants, rocks, logs, and other decorative items add visual interest to your aquarium and give your fish places to hide and explore. You might also wish to explore lighting options, so that you can illuminate your new pets in the dark.
- Food: Food can be offered daily or via feeders that are designed to provide food over the course of several days.
- Medications: Fungal and bacterial infections can threaten the health of fish, but medications are readily available to fight these common issues. If you notice that your fish seem out of sorts, explore potential causes and remedies.
Even people with limited time, space, and resources can be successful fish owners. When you’re ready to get started, head to Petsway. Our knowledgeable associates can help you find the perfect fish for your needs, stock up on essential supplies, and provide helpful advice so that you can keep your pets happy and healthy.